Back to Delaware overview
- Delaware Code (select sections)
- Title 10. Courts and Judicial Procedures
- Part 1. Organization, Powers, Jurisdiction and Operation of Courts
- Chapter 9. THE FAMILY COURT OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE
- Subchapter I. Organization, Administration and Operation
- Subchapter II. Jurisdiction and Powers
- Subchapter III. Procedure
- Part C. Adult Proceedings
- Part D. Protection From Abuse Proceedings.
- Part E. Interstate Enforcement of Domestic Violence Protection Orders
- Title 11. Crimes and Criminal Procedure
- Part I. Delaware Criminal Code
- Chapter 2. GENERAL PROVISIONS CONCERNING OFFENSES
- Chapter 5. SPECIFIC OFFENSES
- Subchapter II. Offenses Against the Person
- Subpart A. Assaults and Related Offenses
- Subpart D. Sexual Offenses
- Subpart E. Kidnapping and Related Offenses
- Subpart F. Coercion
- Subchapter III. Offenses Involving Property
- Subpart B. Criminal Trespass and Burglary
- Subchapter VII. Offenses Against Public Health, Order and Decency
- Subpart A. Riot, Disorderly Conduct and Related Offenses
- Subpart E. Offenses Involving Deadly Weapons and Dangerous Instruments
- Title 13. Domestic Relations
- Chapter 1. MARRIAGE
- Chapter 5. DESERTION AND SUPPORT
- Subchapter I. Duty to Support
- Chapter 7. PARENTS AND CHILDREN
- Subchapter I. General Provisions
- Subchapter II. Custody Proceedings
- Chapter 7A. CHILD PROTECTION FROM DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND SEX OFFENDERS ACT
- Subchapter I. Child Protection from Domestic Violence Act
- Chapter 8. UNIFORM PARENTAGE ACT
- Subchapter II. Parent-Child Relationship
- Chapter 15. DIVORCE AND ANNULMENT
- CHAPTER 19. UNIFORM CHILD CUSTODY JURISDICTION AND ENFORCEMENT ACT
- Subchapter II. Jurisdiction
- Chapter 23. GUARDIANSHIP OF A CHILD
- Subchapter I. Definitions and Jurisdiction
- Subchapter II. General Procedures for Appointment of Guardians
- Subchapter III. Guardian of the Child
- Subchapter V. Permanent Guardianships for Children
- Chapter 24. THIRD PARTY VISITATION
- Subchapter I. General Provisions
- Subchapter II. Third Party Visitation Proceedings
- Chapter 25. DSCYF CUSTODY
- Subchapter II. Dscyf Custody Proceedings
Subchapter I. General Provisions
back to top§ 2404. Hearing procedure and notice requirements
(a) When a petition is filed under this chapter, the Court shall set a date for a hearing on the petition, and shall cause notice of time, place and purpose of the hearing to be served as required in this section.
(b) Notice of the time, place and purpose of the hearing shall be served upon the parent or parents, guardian or guardians, person or persons, DSCYF, or licensed agency holding parental rights at the respondent’s last known address or to the address received in the petition.
(c) If the Court shall find that personal service within the State cannot be accomplished upon a party, the petitioner shall cause notice to be published in a newspaper of general circulation in the county where the respondent is most likely to be residing.
(d) Personal service at any time prior to the hearing shall be sufficient to confer jurisdiction upon the Court.
(e) Notice provided pursuant to this section shall constitute conclusive evidence of service and a hearing will then proceed at the time and date set, with or without the appearance of the parent or parents, guardian or guardians, person or persons, Department, or licensed agency holding parental rights so notified.
Added by 77 Laws 2009, ch. 43, § 9, eff. June 16, 2009.