Legal Information: Alabama


July 28, 2016

Who can get custody?

At least one of the child's parents is entitled to custody, unless there is evidence that both parents are unfit.

If the parents are unfit or no longer living, the judge can award custody to another person or to an agency such as the Department of Human Resources, depending on what the judge believes to be in the best interest of the child. If custody cannot be awarded to a parent, there is a strongly supported view that it should be awarded to another relative if the placement will be safe for the child.